Royal College of Ophthalmologists – Refraction Certificate
We offer a variety of courses aimed at preparing you for the Refraction Certificate examination of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists. Courses available cover all aspects of the refraction certificate examination, in a logical, structured, exam station-orientated manner. Topics and skills include:
- Non-cycloplegic retinoscopy
- Cycloplegic retinoscopy (with and without a trial frame)
- Subjective refraction including cylinder refinement, sphere refinement, and binocular balance
- Lens neutralisation with and without a manual focimeter (including prisms and hand neutralisation)
Courses can be purchased to cover individual components, with prices starting from just £199.00 (for certain half day courses).
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE ADAPTED OUR COURSE TO ALIGN WITH THE COVID EXAM FORMAT FROM DECEMBER 2020 ONWARD – please contact us for details
We also offer our popular package deals as follows:
- One-to-ONE Refraction Course – a blended learning course comprising 2 weeks of access to the online tutorials and 1 day in-person to practice and refine all of the stations and skills – priced at £499.00. Please note that this course does NOT include a mock stations exam
- One-to-ONE 1-day Refraction Course – a fully in-person 1-day learning course for 1 person comprising teaching of any TWO of retinoscopy, subjective refraction, lens neutralisation, OR a mock exam – priced at £399.00.
For more details about the online programme, please click here.
We also offer a mock stations exam only course whereby you can experience the exam format with REAL patients under exam conditions, with feedback on performance on a one-to-one basis (a half day course). If you have not attended one of our courses before you will also be given 7 days of access to the online course materials to help you prepare for the course.
If you would like a bespoke course tailored to your needs, please contact us for a quotation.
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland & Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
This course aims to prepare you for the refraction elements of the Royal College of Surgeons (Ireland or Edinburgh) exams. The course covers all aspects of the refraction, beginning from VA assessment and retinoscopy, through subjective refinement of the prescription using cylinder refinement, sphere refinement, binocular balance, and then finding a near addition. The course also aims to cover theoretical aspects of VA testing in children and prescribing prisms, as necessary. We can also offer practical experience of hand neutralisation and manual focimetry (including prisms) as necessary.
Courses are usually 1 day in length and can be purchased to cover individual components only (e.g. retinoscopy skills only), or all aspects including a 30-minute mock exam. Prices start from £399.00 for one-to-one courses (a full day).